Final Exam Es470 Spring 2005.
1. Explain what each component of a
wastewater treatment plant is and what it does to have an impact on the final
quality level of water discharged to the
2. Two homeowners have 3/4 of an ac of land
in the north valley in
3. Explain the permitting requirement for selecting a new Solid Waste Landfill . Explain all the information needed by the permit application and the process that a city and county must undergo to decide if they need a new solid waste land fill and if so where it should be placed.
4. The city of
How many acres should the city say they are going to use for the land application in the requested permit to EPA and how long should they apply for the permit to keep the wetting front above 150 ft. What is the average moisture content in the soil profile to transmit the sewage sludge for your design?
The minimum time they want a permit for is 10 years.
5. The discharge into the drain system at
Elephant Butt irrigation system for one stead state flow event is 5 ft^3/sec ( 0.141 m^/sec) and the drain is 10 miles long (16093 m).
The drain acts as a wetlands and is 30 ft (9.1m) wide
at its base and runs 2 ft (0.61) deep. The input concentration of total
suspended solids is 250 mg/l When the drain discharges into the
6. Explain how wind speed, wind direction, and the Paasquill weather stability factor affect the dispersion of pesticides into the atmosphere. How do you calculate the concentration of pesticide 100 ft down wind from the field that it was applied to knowing the pesticide application rate and the volatilization rate coefficient for the pesticide.